I bring this up because working on these design projects requires that I be able to translate what you see on your mind to a canvas. The process sorta reminds me of an article by Jehan Choo’s:
“How to extract an image in your mind onto a digital canvas” from ImagineFX.com

I have the idea - but how do I get it on canvas?

Jehan Choo:
“Transferring a stunning fantastical image from our minds through our hands and on to our canvas can be frustratingly hard to do. Its always fun to let a piece evolve into something completely different than what was planned, but what if we want to get that image from our head down as faithfully as possible?

Sometimes an image so vivid will pop into our heads, one so amazing that we want to put it down exactly as we imagine it.

The discussion will discuss ways to manipulate layers, create visual hints about what to do next, and how to salvage a disastrous looking face. I will introduce an unconventional way to quickly begin painting that may help in blocking out an imaginary scene before it fades from memory.

Sketch out a couple of thumbnails.

Jehan Choo:
Keeping rough, my intention is to find one similar mood and composition to the image in my head. It took years to earn that you can perform this step as quickly or as slowly as you like. Try not to force yourself to draw or thing faster than you are capable of, or to draw very nearly if quick scribbles seem to work better for you. This step can take anywhere from three thumbnails or 13 pages, so don’t be afraid to keep sketching until you find that one that seems to encapsulate best what you see in your head.


Ryan Church's concept work - quick thumnails can lead to serendipity??

Jehan Choo:
Remember, thumbnails can be sued to quickly try out wildly different composition and ideas. Sketching out a couple of different views or takes on your subject can light a new, unexpected path. If you still end up loving your initial composition, you haven’t wasted any time: you know you’ve made the right choice.

2. Creating notes to self

I chose a pencil thumbail to bring into Photoshop along with a handful of value thumbnails done with marker (checking on black and white tones). I then place the pencil and markers on individual layers. Next I add a gradient that seems to fit very abstractly with the color scheme I see on my head. Arranging these pieces like a puzzle, I adjust the contrast, clour and saturation and position of penci and marer layers until the results reflect closely the composition I’m after. I am slo changing the blend modes of each layer, picking from defaults based on what feels best, but I mostly used the multiply layers.


More of Ryan Church's concept work. He must have photographic
memory or something...


Jehan Choo:

The process results in a digital collage, a quick snapshot of the painting I see in my head. The collage serves a pictorial note to self, a map of what I plan to do. This technique also helps to eliminate any scary blank canvas. Try to keep lse with this step, as the goal here is not to loc into a perfect composition right away, but rather to create an abstract image that reminds and hints to you what ot do next. Right now, the image is telling me “the character group on the left”, “greenish area on the bottom right,” and “empty space above that.”

My thoughts:
Anywho, that's all the advice I can get off that article. Pretty neat. Oh, go and watch this film while you are at it. It's... creepy, to say the least. How does this film relates to anything is beyond me. Special thanks to Evan, Justy and Kain, the only two real people who might actually visit this place DESPITE what the view counter says. Damn bot!




1 Responses to The Mind to Canvas

  1. "Some of you may have noticed that I’ve shifted my attention to an original intellectual property known as Armored Soldier Valkyrion. ..."

    But not YOUR "original intellectual property." Beware; I don't want to see you exploited. Do you have a contract? Remember: It's YOU that's bringing the visualization of ASV's concepts to life. At least in the marketing of the images, I hope you get AT LEAST 50% of any profits. Be smart; be careful.

     
Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda FazaniInstalled by CahayaBiru.com

Followers

About Me

ChrisK
On and off blogger.
View my complete profile